Welcome to our frequently asked questions page. If you don’t find the answer you are looking for, please feel free to write us your questions and our staff will respond to you as soon as possible.
Our Tortuguero Expeditions include:
- Transport to / from San Jose – Arenal Volcano – Caribe Sur
- 1 night of lodging at La Baula Lodge or similar:
- hot water
- private bath
- turtle shape swimming pool
- guided hiking
- extensive tropical gardens
- beach front
- Canoe tour through the smaller canals, in search of a close up view of the wildlife.
- One trip to the interesting town of Tortuguero with a visit to the Caribbean Conservation Corporation.
- Kayaking for individual exploration of the canals.
- Not included: National Park entrance fees ( $15 ) , Night turtle tour ( June September, $35 ) , Alcoholic Beverages.
Our biggest difference is the transportation. Our Tortuguero Expeditions give you the choice to start and finish in San José, the Arenal Volcano, or the Caribbean Coast at no extra charge.
This depends on your specific hotel. If your are staying in downtown San José or in the center of Puerto Viejo then around 6:30 am. If you an outside of downtown San José or in the Southern Caribbean beaches ( like Cocles ) expect to be picked up at around 6:20 am.
In the Arenal Volcano we have a single pick up time: 5:30 am.
This pick up times apply both for our river trips and Tortuguero.
In San José: the best is to look for Café Mundo Restaurant (very popular, take a taxi or look under “Places to Eat” in your guide book) and follow the blue arrows on the walk way. We are 2 blocks away, within walking distance from 20 different hotels. Look at our printable map.
In the Carribbean: we are located right in the of Puerto Viejo, Next to A mi Modo Restaurant. You will not have any problem finding us. Look at printable map.
If you are going to the Pacific Coast after the Caribbean (west bound), this is the order you want to organize your trip, for best time/money value and top logistical efficiency:
San José —› Río Pacuare —› Caribe Sur —› Tortuguero —› Arenal Volcano
Minimum time: 5 days Recommended Time: 8 days
If you are going to the Caribbean Coast from the Pacific (east bound) and on to San José
Arenal Volcano —› Río Pacuare —› Caribe Sur —› Tortuguero —› San José
You would need to drive to our Exploration Center (click here for directions). We recommend you to follow our van. Note that your car will be conveniently parked at the end of the rapids. Get 10$ off by driving yourself there.
You would have breakfast with us, leave your vehicle there, jump into one of our vans to be driven to the top of the river and raft back down to our Exploration Center. You need to be there by 8:20 am.
Driving time: From San José or the southern Caribbean 2 hr 40 min. From the Arenal Volcano 3 hrs 30 min. From Sarapiqui 2 hrs. Boat Trip 1hr.
From San José or the southern Caribbean 1 hr 40 min. From the Arenal Volcano 2 hrs 30 min. From Sarapiqui 1 hr.
It does not. The pick up and drop off are included in the rates.
Hotels outside La Fortuna have extra cost, consult before booking your hotel.
Quite easily. Vans coming from each destination go back to the same destination. All you do is swap vehicles. For instance, you can start in the San Jose van, raft or visit Tortuguero, and then jump into the Arenal van. So does your luggage.
Exploradores Outdoors has had the opportunity to base operations from our Exploration Center in Siquirres. It is located centrally between the Pacuare and Reventazon rafting rivers.
Siquirres is the gateway to Tortuguero National Park and the Pacuare & Reventazon Rivers. In addition, the location is half way in between San Jose and the beautiful Caribbean Coast town of Puerto Viejo, a popular destination for beach lovers and surfers looking for a challenging reef break.
The Exploration Center is built on approximately one hectare of land rich with so many of Costa Rica’s natural resources. With this abundance the construction and materials used for building are consistent with the environmental philosophy of the company. The facilities include showers and changing rooms perfect for getting comfortable after a day on the river.
Refreshments are available to enjoy as you relax and share your experience with your new friends.
Directions: To get to our EXPLORATION CENTER, drive to Siquirres , and take highway #32 towards Puerto Limon for 1 km. 50 meters west of the Rio Pacuare bridge turn North (left) and follow the road for 100 meters. Get $10.00 off by driving yourself here. We are in front of the Betania School.
To the river:
· Swimming suit
· Tennis shoes, Teva sandals or Aqua shoes, ( not flip – flop )
· Windbreaker ( or any synthetic fabric T-Shirt )
· Sun block 15+
After the river:
· Full set of clothes for changing
·Plastic bag for wet clothes
· Cash for souvenirs, pictures and T-Shirts
For overnight trips:
· Same listed above, plus…
·Flash light, Insect Repellent
· Pants + Long sleeves shirt
· Camera, Binoculars
· Personal care products
Medicines if needed. If this is the case, please inform our office staff or the river guide.
One day Trips:
· Transport to /from San José – Caribe Sur – Arenal Volcano
·Breakfast and Lunch
·Service of Professional Guides
·Top of the line River Equipment
·Use of our private Exploration Center: Showers, changing rooms, bar, gift shop, safe parking and tropical garden.
Two day Trips:
· All of the above
· One night of lodging in our Pacuare Tent Camp
· Two more great meals( total of 5 )
· Happy hour!! ( 3 beers, 1 mixed drink & snacks )
· Extra river distance ( 22miles total )
· 3 guided hikes
Yes, absolutely. At our Exploration Center we have a luggage room specifically for this purpose. Note that a there is a guard 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. We deal with luggage daily.
- For Credit Card Payments Exploradores Outdoors will send the client a Safe Payment Link. It needs to be paid immediately and the customer must send us the Payment Receipt that the bank is going to produce.
- Credit Card Safe Payment Links will be made in Costa Rica Colones at the official exchange rate.
- No refunds apply for not showing up to any tour on the date, time and place reserved.
- Because of Safety Reasons out of our control, like dangerous water levels on the Pacuare River, Exploradores Outdoors keeps the right to change the trips to the Reventazón River and no refunds apply. If passengers are changing destinations Exploradores Outdoors will provide the corresponding transport.
- For one day tours and transfers, all cancellations or modifications must be made 12 hours before the date of the tour to receive a 100% refund. Cancellations made with less than 12 hours will not receive a refund.
- For overnight rafting trips and Tortuguero Expeditions, all cancellations or modifications must be made 48 hours before the date of the tour to receive a 100% refund. Cancellations made with less than 48 hours will not receive a refund.
- Cancellations or modifications must be made via email and the client must make sure to receive an answer from us.
- We are available every day of the year from 6 00 am to 9 00 pm at the email firstname.lastname@example.org
- People with epilepsy, recent major surgeries or pregnant women cannot join the rafting trips.
- For the Pacuare River rafting trips people under 12 years of age and elderly people must contact us for a previous evaluation
- Please inform us if you are travelling with oversized luggage, surfboards, bikes, etc.